GUIDE TO BUYING BEDROOM FURNITURE
Your bedroom is the most personal space in your home. It is where you retire at the end of a particularly hectic day and it is where you lay awake pondering and reminiscing about your life. For this reason and many more, it is essential to put a little effort into making it a beautiful living space.
Recreating or renovating your bedroom, fortunately, need not be a very expensive exercise. For those who can’t afford to completely revamp and change the walls et al, you can always change the furniture. This is almost as efficient as a full blown make over.
Buying bedroom furniture is relatively simple. However, there is a huge variety to choose from and making the right choice can be baffling and irksome. Here are a few tips to help make your decision simpler.
· The first thing you should buy is the bed frame. Since this will act as the focal point of your room, the rest of your design will depend on this. Contemporary bed frames are simple and elegant. The detail on these is kept to a minimum and they are bereft or extravagant carving and curves. This makes them versatile, blending in with almost any type of decor.
· Some bed frames come with a foot board. Though some people think it completes the look, others believe it hinders the process of buying bed linen. The decision is left entirely up to you.
· For those who have a limit on space, there are models of beds available with storage space. Investing in these is a great way to save space. Besides, they are great for storing bed linen which tends to get bulky.
· The next essential piece of bedroom furniture is a dresser for clothes and accessories. You can either buy a single piece or buy it as part of the bed set. Buying it as part of the set may prove to be cheaper and easier to match. If space is a constraint, consider placing the dresser within the wardrobe. Dressers with attached mirrors are also very functional and practical. If it does have a mirror, ensure that you place it under a light source to make dressing up easier. Also, the position of the dresser should allow for easy opening and closing of drawers.
· The night stand is the next important piece of furniture. It is ideal for keeping important things close at hand and can also serve as the base for a reading lamp. Though it is again suggested to stick to the set, nightstands are rather flexible and so, you can experiment with these.
· If you still have sufficient space in your room, you may consider introducing an armoire for extra clothes and linen.
· However you decide to decorate your bedroom, keep in mind that it should match the décor of the rest of the house.
· When buying furniture for the children’s room, it is essential to purchase sturdy and durable furniture. Wood is the best possible option money can buy.
How to buy
Gone are the days when carpenters were employed to construct bedroom furniture for your home. With the advancement of technology and the wide spread use of the internet, bedroom furniture can be easily availed of through the internet. shopping online lets you compare prices, styles, designs and deals of a number of sellers before you make a final decision. Also, the furniture available online is usually much cheaper than that in retail stores. If you are on a very stringent budget, you may consider purchasing well maintained second hand furniture from trusted websites or other dealers.
Bedroom furniture is available in many materials. Wrought iron furniture is sturdy and durable and available at very affordable prices. However, most people prefer wooden furniture. It is important to know that wooden furniture is available in huge variety. There are certain types of wood that are of a good quality and sold at cheap rates. Wood like pine wood is ideal. One has to ensure that one does not invest in woods like chipboard. This wood is cheap but of very inferior quality and durability. To make the right decision, one has to first conduct a detailed survey of the woods used in furniture.
The last step in buying bedroom furniture is to determine your taste. Preference obviously differs from person to person. The inhabitant of the room plays an important role in the purchase of its furniture. For instance, a male would generally prefer modern, minimalistic furniture with clean lines. On the other hand, a woman may choose more stylish and curvy styles of furniture. Children’s rooms need space and safety. Bunk beds are ideal for this purpose.